Teen’s ‘trapped wind’ turns out to be burst ‘air blister’ in her lung from vaping equivalent of 50 cigarettes a day

A “SHOCKED” teenager admits she continued to vape even when it nearly killed her sister – only for e-cigs to burst a hole in her lung too just weeks later.

Tazmin Blight, who has used the devices since she was just 13, says she puffed away at the equivalent of 50 cigarettes a day.

Kennedy News and MediaTazmin Blight holding her vape before her lung collapsed[/caption]

The 19-year-old on crutches in hospital, waiting for her X-ray resultsKennedy News and Media

Her sister Kyla in hospital after vaping burst a hole in her lung weeks earlierKennedy News and Media

This was despite the fact her sister Kyla was hospitalised due to the same habit in May.

Tazmin discovered her lung had collapsed on June 29, just seven weeks after Kyla had emergency surgery when vaping burst a hole in her lung.

After experiencing “tightness” in her chest and pain in her back and shoulders, 19-year-old Tazmin assumed she had trapped wind.

But her dad, Mark Blight, took her to the hospital in light of Kyla’s experience.

The pair were “shocked” when doctors informed the pair that Tazmin’s lung had collapsed, just as Kyla’s had done.

She is currently waiting to hear if she needs surgery.

Kyla, 17, was hospitalised on May 11 after vaping similarly burst a hole in her lung.

She is said to have collapsed and “turned blue” while sleeping over at a friend’s house, before almost having a cardiac arrest.

Kyla has since had an emergency five-and-a-half-hour operation, which involved removing part of her lung.

It’s thought Kyla’s excessive vaping – which amounted to the equivalent of 400 fags a week – caused a small air blister known as a pulmonary bleb to burst.

Tazmin admitted that she used to carry her e-cigarette with her “at all times” and began vaping six years ago.

Despite seeing firsthand the dangers of e-cigs from her sister, Tazmin continued to use them as she “never believed” the same would happen to her.

Now, however, she vows to stop.

The admin worker gets through a 10ml bottle of vape juice every five days, giving her up to 600 daily puffs – equivalent to nearly 50 cigarettes a day.

After Kyla’s ordeal, Mark wasted no time in taking his other daughter to the hospital, where an X-ray revealed a burst pulmonary bleb caused Tazmin’s lung to collapse.

It’s just horrible. It knocked me right back to where I was a few weeks ago with Kyla

Mark BlightDad

The dad, who lives in Egremont, Cumbria, said: “It’s been an absolute nightmare. The coincidence is just unbelievable.

“It knocked me right back to where I was a few weeks ago with Kyla.

“It’s just horrible. I’m still in shock about it.

“The doctors took us straight in because of what happened to Kyla.

“They told her she had pneumothorax. It’s when little tiny holes appear on your lungs and they burst.

“Kyla’s was a great big one and hers is a tiny one. We wanted to catch it early.

“The doctor’s said vapes are definitely what caused it.”

The carer revealed that his daughter has been put on a clinical trial by Carlisle Hospital’s respiratory team.

After a CT scan on July 5 revealed her lung inflation had decreased, the pair are hoping that surgery to drain it won’t be necessary.

Tazmin, who started vaping aged 13, and her dad Mark BlightKennedy News and Media

Kennedy News and MediaKyla, who smoked the equivalent of 400 cigarettes a week, in hospital in May 2024[/caption]

Tazmin admits she continued to vape, even when it nearly killed KylaKennedy News and Media

Kennedy News and MediaTazmin holding her vape, which she says she kept on her ‘at all times’[/caption]

“She may not need surgery if her lung can stand up on its own,” Mark said.

“She’s just been lying in her room. She’s not done much for a while, she’s been off work for a couple of weeks now.

“Vaping has really frightened Tazmin and she’s done really well not vaping.”

Tazmin, who works in admin, said: “I never thought it would happen to me. I was definitely shocked.

“I had in my head it would just be trapped wind or something.

“You never expect it to happen to you and it only just happened to Kyla so I just didn’t expect it to be a collapsed lung.

“The pain started on Friday. I got in from work and I had loads of tightness in my chest and pain in my back and shoulders.

“I thought I’d try and sleep it off but when I woke up it was still there – it was only on one side but when I got out of bed, it was so much pain.

“I thought I should get it checked out after what just happened to Kyla. She was a lot worse than me.

“I just can’t wait for it to be sorted so I can breathe properly and not have this pain in my chest anymore.”

I thought it was a one-time thing that happened to Kyla but now it’s happened to me as well

Tazmin BlightVaping ‘addict’

The teenager revealed she recently switched her disposable vapes for a refillable one, replacing the liquid up to four times a day, but now she plans to stop for good.

“I had it with me at all times. I don’t think I know anyone that doesn’t vape,” Tazmin said.

“I was on disposables until about two or three months ago. Then I switched to the refillable ones.

“When I was at work I couldn’t use it as much. But when I wasn’t at work I would refill it about three or four times a day.

“I’m trying to stop now. I thought it was a one-time thing that happened to Kyla but now it’s happened to me as well.

“It’s shown me the long term effects of these disposable or refillable vapes. It can happen to people at any time.”

Kennedy News and MediaAfter what happened to his daughters, Mark wants a ‘complete ban’ on e-cigarettes[/caption]

‘I had in my head it would just be trapped wind or something,’ Tazmin saidKennedy News and Media

The teenager, pictured holding her vape, now vows to quit for goodKennedy News and Media

Kennedy News and MediaKyla was hospitalised on May 11 after vaping burst a hole in her lung[/caption]

The dad, who recently appeared on ITV‘s Good Morning Britain to discuss Kyla’s experience, revealed he is more determined than ever to spread awareness about the dangers of vaping.

“I would like to see them completely banned,” he said.

“These vapes are marketed for kids. You can see they are, just in the way they taste and smell.

“I passed a candy floss flavoured one the other day. It’s not advertised for me. It’s aimed at kids.

“We know what vapes are doing to people but there’s just no proof.

“Until then, people are still going to be going out and buying these throw-away things.

“I’m really pleased with what I’m doing, getting this out in the open.

“I’ve had people stop me in the street and say, ‘My daughter’s stopped vaping now because of you’.”

The 4 horrifying things that can happen to your body after vaping

VAPES were once hailed as miracle devices to help adults ditch cigarettes.

But while the devices don’t carry the same risks as tobacco, experts have warned that vaping might not be so harmless after all.

Here are five ways vaping could damage young users bodies:

1. It could slow down brain development

Vaping nicotine can permanently affect brain development in people under the age of 25, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

It said that nicotine consumed during teenage years can harm the parts of the brain that control attention, learning, mood, and impulse control, as well as increase the risk of addiction.

2. It could lead to tooth decay

Dr Michael Heffernan, a dentist at The Wessex Dental Specialist Care, said most vapes contain dangerous chemical that can harm your teeth and lead to decay.

Puffing on the devices could also lead to mouth dryness, creating an environment in which harmful bacteria can grow.

3. It could damage heart health

However, some of the chemicals found in vapes can be damaging to the heart, with the American Heart Association (AHA) stating that vaping is “as harmful to the body’s cardiovascular systems as cigarettes”.

4. It could cause lung disease

Vaping from a young age could leave children with breathing difficulties, with paediatric respiratory consultant Dr Mike McKean saying he’d seen reports of people developing lung disease related to vaping.

Researchers from the US also found that young people who vape are more at risk of bronchitis, inflammation of the airways, and shortness of breath.

Read more on how vaping can affect your health here.

Kennedy News and MediaMark says vape shouldn’t be marketed towards kids like his daughters[/caption]

Kennedy News and MediaTazmin says she gets through a 10ml bottle of vape juice every five days, giving her up to 600 daily puffs[/caption]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow by Email
LinkedIn
LinkedIn
Share