Edo govt withdraws 29-count charge against Benin palace chiefs

The Edo State Government has withdrawn the 29-count charges preferred against Mr Frank Irabor, the Secretary to the Benin Traditional Council and six palace officials over alleged demolition of houses.

DAILY POST reports that the state government had in August 2022, preferred a 29-count charge against the defendants over the demolition of houses at Ulegun community in Ikpoba-Okha Local Government Area of the state.

DAILY POST reported that the accused were, remanded in prison by Justice Mary Itsueli of Edo State High Court.

At the resumed hearing of the case on Wednesday, July 3, 2024, the State Director of Public Prosecution, DPP, Orobosa Okunbor, applied for the withdrawal of the case from the court.

Okunbor told the court that the case was withdrawn to allow for peaceful reconciliation by the state government, which had paid compensation to persons whose livelihood were impacted by the demolition.

DAILY POST reports recalled that the defendants in the suit had already pleaded not guilty to the 29- count charge preferred against them.

Reacting to the withdrawal of the case from the court, the Secretary to the Benin Traditional Council, Frank Irabor, commended the state government and Governor Godwin Obaseki for withdrawing the case.

Irabor described the government intervention as a right step in the right direction towards peace and reconciliation.

“On behalf of the Chief and other palace functionaries, we like to thank the Edo State Government, ably led by Governor Godwin Obaseki for deeming it fit and appropriate to withdraw this case that was filed against us.

It’s the right step in the right direction,” he said.

Edo govt withdraws 29-count charge against Benin palace chiefs

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow by Email
LinkedIn
LinkedIn
Share