Two children electrocuted in Lagos, mother hospitalised

A yet-to-be-identified mother in the Mushin area of Lagos State is currently battling for her life after losing two of her children to electrocution on Thursday.

According to sources in the area, the children, a girl and a boy, aged 10 and seven, were electrocuted when they attempted to turn on the television after returning from school.

PUNCH Metro gathered from the sources in the area that the parents, who were said to have been away or inside the room when the incident occurred, on learning about what happened to their children, were thrown into despair.

Their mother was said to have lost consciousness and is currently battling for her life at the hospital.

Speaking with PUNCH Metro, a resident of the area named Toyosi, described the incident as the handiwork of the devil.

She said, “I heard that it was after school on Thursday, the girl was trying to turn on the TV from the socket when she got electrocuted. Without even knowing what had happened to his older sister, the younger boy went to touch her, he too got electrocuted.

“They stayed at that spot until the light was taken and then they fell. I heard the woman is still at the hospital. She has yet to recover from the shock. We heard that when people went to visit her, she couldn’t talk, she couldn’t cry, she just sat at a spot, looking.”

Another resident of the area, who didn’t give her name, disclosed that the mother of the children had a third child she was breastfeeding when the two older ones passed on.

According to Healthline, an online medical portal, an electric shock happens when an electric current passes through your body.

It noted that this can burn both internal and external tissue and cause organ damage.

According to Healthline, symptoms of an electric shock depend on how severe it is, adding that, “Potential symptoms of an electric shock include: loss of consciousness, muscle spasms, numbness or tingling, breathing problems, headache, problems with vision or hearing, burns, seizures, irregular heartbeat.”


Copyright PUNCH
All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.



The post Two children electrocuted in Lagos, mother hospitalised appeared first on Healthwise.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow by Email