Mum shares heartbreaking photos of little boy, 2, who died after going swimming

A TODDLER died after contracting a brain-eating infection while swimming.

Two-year-old Woodrow Bundy took a dip in Ash Springs, Nevada, then fell ill with flu-like symptoms.

GoFundMeWoodrow Bundy did after swimming in Ash Springs, Nevada[/caption]

The youngster contracted Naegleria fowleri, a deadly amoebaFacebook

His condition worsened and his parents rushed him to hospital, where doctors first believed he might have meningitis.

Sadly, little Woodrow passed away a week later on July 19.

His family said he contracted Naegleria fowleri, a deadly amoeba usually found in soil and freshwater, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

They believe it entered his system while he splashed about at the hot springs.

Infections are rare, with only 157 reported between 1962 and 2022.

But it is fatal in almost all cases, with a survival rate of just three per cent.

Friends and relatives have remembered the youngster as their “hero”.

Mum Briana wrote on Facebook: “He lived life so aggressively and never wasted a moment.

“He found joy in all things. He found beauty and adventure and love in all of God’s creations. His excitement for life was unmatched.

“He is my hero and I will forever be grateful to God for giving me the greatest baby boy on Earth.

“I am grateful to know I will have that boy in heaven someday.”

Aunt Lisa added: “Perhaps he just had too much goodness in him to stay.

“I believe strongly we will be with him again.

“He is loved so much by a very large family.”

And Bailey Logue described Woodrow as bringing “joy to everyone that came into contact with him”.

Woodrow is survived by his parents Briana and Mel, his five sisters Montana, Bentlie, Presly, Kymber, and Adahlen, and brother Parker Leavitt.

A GoFundMe page has been set up to raise money for his family.

Relatives remember Woodrow as a ‘hero’Facebook

What is a brain-eating amoeba?

NAEGLERIA fowleri, commonly referred to as a “brain-eating amoeba,” is a free-living microscopic amoeba that can cause devastating brain disease.

The parasite enters through the nose and into the brain where it turns into Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM), which is a disease of the central nervous system.

According to the CDC, the parasite is commonly found in warm freshwater (e.g. lakes, rivers, and hot springs) and soil.

When the parasite enters the body, it is typically fatal.

Children and younger people are believed to be more at risk.

The infection commonly occurs when people go swimming or diving in fresh, warm water places such as lakes or rivers.

In rare cases, infections can occur from swimming in poorly chlorinated pools and consuming contaminated tap water.

Symptoms of contracting Naegleria fowleri present themselves in stages.

Stage one includes:

Severe frontal headache

The symptoms of stage two are:

A stiff neck
Altered mental status
A possible coma

In order to avoid infection, health officials recommend:

Holding your nose shut or using nose clips
Keeping your head above water when taking part in water-related activities in bodies of warm freshwater
Avoiding water-related activities in warm freshwater during periods of high water temperature
Avoiding digging in or stirring up the sediment while participating in water-related activities in shallow, warm freshwater areas

Source: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow by Email