Top footballer punched woman, 60, and left her unable to speak in bloody queue row at nightclub

A FORMER Premier League footballer is facing jail after he punched a 60-year-old woman and left her covered in blood following a nightclub row.

Marcus Maddison insulted the victim’s daughter before launching the brutal assault which left the older woman unable to speak due to her facial injuries.

Maddison started out at Newcastle but played most matches for PeterboroughGetty Images – Getty

The Gate/FacebookMaddison attacked his victim after spending time at The Gate nightclub in Darlington[/caption]

The attack happened after the ex-pro – who rose through the youth ranks at Newcastle United – left The Gate nightclub in Darlington in the early hours of September 25 last year.

Teesside Crown Court has now heard how he got into a row with two women for apparently jumping the queue in a kebab shop close to the nightclub in County Durham.

Prosecutor Robin Turton told how Maddison threatened: “You come near me and I’m going to pelt these cheesy chips at you.”

Mr Turton added: “As the defendant threw the chips he fell backwards and he punched the victim with his right clenched fist.

“There was a steady stream of blood coming from what appeared to be a broken nose. She was unable to speak due to her injuries.

“The victim was taken to hospital and a CT scan revealed complex midfacial bone fractures.

“She reported that she continues to suffer numbness to the teeth, diminished sense of taste and smell and is now reluctant to go out on her own.”

Maddison was arrested and later pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm.

He now faces sentencing on August 8.

The judge, Mr Recorder Paul Reid, extended his unconditional bail while an updated victim impact statement is prepared and a medical carried out on the victim.

The 29-year-old midfielder scored 52 goals in more than 200 appearances during a six-year stint at League One side Peterborough United.

He also played for former Premier League sides Hull City, Charlton Athletic and Bolton Wanderers.

He also won two caps in 2014 for England C, the team representing the country for non-league level footballers.

Maddison signed for National League North club Darlington in June last year but had his contract ripped up days after the assault.

Darlington FC said: “The club were made aware of an alleged incident and conducted an immediate disciplinary investigation.

“After discussions with the player concerned, the club agreed to mutually terminate his contract with immediate effect at that time.

“Darlington FC is a fan-owned club and has a zero tolerance towards discrimination, violence of abusive behaviour.

“It would be inappropriate for Darlington FC to comment further at this time.”

Maddison took time off from football in March 2001 for mental health reasons, having played ten matches for Bolton on their way to promotion from League Two.

Speaking a year later, he said: “Things didn’t go well at Bolton and, headspace, I just wasn’t in the right way to play football anymore.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow by Email